We all have hopes, dreams and goals. At this time of the year, we often examine our lives and assess our progress towards these goals.
But we often feel disappointed and become critical of ourselves when we realize we haven’t reached the goals we set for the past year.
Whether your goal is to stop letting people walk all over you, leave an abusive relationship, end an addition, stop self-destructive or self-defeating behavior – this article will encourage you to reach your goals and dreams using self-compassion and self-encouragement as your motivator.
Tips to Improve self-compassion and self-encouragement
- Be mindful of your small wins and achievements.
- Celebrate progress toward your goals and reward yourself upon attaining.
- Bask in the simple pleasure of a good day’s work.
- Find peace of mind in the knowledge that you have done right or that you have done enough.
- Stay future focused. Be inspired by your hopes, dreams and plans.
- Believe that you can. Believe that you will. GIVING UP IS POINTLESS.
- Surround yourself with positive influences.
- Have enough confidence that you will find a different way.
- Take matters into your own hands.
- Open yourself up to learning and growing.
When reaching for a big goal, self-motivation plays a key role. But making a change in your life requires persistence, and many of us find it difficult to stay motivated over time.
Motivation is simply the force driving your behaviour. It’s the “why” behind everything you do, and the reason you commit to an action, or work toward a goal.
Everything we do is motivated by some combination of conscious and unconscious need or desire.
When we talk about self-compassion or self-encouragement, we are going beyond the basic motives. What we really mean is the ability to follow through on making a positive change in life – without giving up.
Self-compassion is about offering to ourselves the same kind of love, care and kindness – especially during times of stress and struggle – that we would offer to a friend, colleague or a loved one.
Believe in yourself, stay inspired and keep going despite setbacks.