The month of May is Mental Health Awareness Month and we wanted to really draw back from our roots and explain what mental health is and why this month is so important. As well, we'll provide you guys with some amazing mental health resources to have right at your fingertips so keep reading for that!
What Is Mental Health?
According to Medical News Today: "Mental health refers to cognitive, behavioural, and emotional well-being. It is all about how people think, feel, and behave. People sometimes use the term “mental health” to mean the absence of a mental disorder."
Risk Factors Of Mental Health:
It may be a surprise for you to know that everyone has some risk of developing a mental health disorder. Mental health does not discriminate against age, sex, income or ethnicity. A large number of people with mental health disorders have more than one condition at a time.
It is important to note that good mental health depends on a delicate balance of factors and several elements of life and the world at large can work together to contribute to disorders.
The Most Common Mental Health Disorders:
- anxiety disorders
- mood disorders
- schizophrenia disorders
Early Signs Of Mental Health Disorders:
- withdrawing from friends, family, and colleagues
- sleeping too much or too little
- eating too much or too little
- having consistently low energy
- using mood-altering substances, including alcohol and nicotine, more frequently
- displaying negative emotions
- having persistent thoughts or memories that reappear regularly
- thinking of causing physical harm to themselves or others
- Self Help
Mental Health Resources
7. Canada Suicide Prevention Service
We want you to know that you are never alone and you are not the only one suffering from these disorders. If you're looking for help, reach out to someone close to you or via one of these resources.
Thinking of you always,